free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 2 December 2013

U is for UNDERSTANDING

As we get near the end of Round 13, I'm regularly struck by how Denise Nesbitt's UNDERSTATEDLY modest experiment, ABC Wednesday, has achieved a goal beyond its UNDOUBTEDLY simple intention in the beginning.

It has reached across the world with a sense of UNITY. We can each take a UNIQUE take on a given letter, yet the post touch on some UNIVERSAL themes. This is far too UNUSUAL in this world: note how the words UNITED and UNTIED share the same letters, and while some seek to UNIFY, others find more pleasure in taking UMBRAGE, UNDERMINING the effort.

(When I type in UNDERSERVED in my computer, it suggests UNDESERVED.)

Still I feel UPBEAT about the UNDERSTANDING that has been UNLEASHED in this little corner of the UNIVERSE the last six and a half years.





Hey, now this is UNIQUE: A bizarre instrument combining a piano and cello has finally been played to an audience more than 500 years after it was dreamt up Leonardo da Vinci. Literally something you don't see every day.

Re: UNDERSTANDING: Watch Elvis Costello introducing Elvis Costello on David Letterman's show, then singing "What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding"

Here are the lyrics by Nick Lowe, which include:

And as I walked on
Through troubled times
My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony.
'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away, just makes me wanna cry.
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? Ohhhh
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?








11 comments:

  1. I used to like being unique, but then , people won't understand me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is unique in every way; I applaud the way in which you are able to introduce "U"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kate! Thanks, Roger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great introduction. You did a uber good take on the letter U this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are utterly and understandingly right in your unique observation on unity. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uotstanding! [sic]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Undoubtedly united in uniqueness ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is one of my very favorite songs. Have you ever heard Elvis C. do any Gershwin? If not, you should try youtubing it. He does a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard Elvis do standards (The Very Thought of You, e.g.), but not sure about Gershwin. I have a LOT of EC.

    ReplyDelete